Face yoga exercises: complete guide
Written by Irene MakarevichUpdated on 19 Aug 2022
Face yoga exercises: complete guide
Written by Irene Makarevich.Updated at 19 Aug 2022
- How to do face yoga exercises?
- Before the exercises
- Face Yoga Exercises 101
- Anti-ageing daily face yoga routine
- Face-lifting yoga exercises
- Fat-burning face yoga exercises
- Detox face yoga exercises
- Face yoga exercises for beginners
- How to set up your face yoga routine
- Do you still want someone to hold your hand?
Are you looking for face yoga exercises that will light up your face and make you happier? Look no further. In this post, you’ll find all the best practices beloved by face yogi. These simple facial workouts will help your features look naturally youthful, plump, and energized. Scroll down for our favorite free face yoga exercises. Relevant reading: What is Face Yoga?
How to do face yoga exercises?Whenever and wherever you like Why exactly have “yoga for face” exercises become so popular lately? One of the reasons for their popularity is their unbeatable ease. Facial workouts fit into all lifestyles and budgets, and there are multiple ways to do them. For 15 minutes in the morning and evening Doing face yoga exercises at home is a simple yet efficient replacement for the spa. Put aside fifteen minutes twice a day to enjoy this relaxing routine. Make a habit of mixing face yoga into your routine It’s not easy to create a new habit. Make life easier for yourself by adding facial exercises to your regular daily beauty routine (like when applying moisturizer or during your evening wind-down ritual). Set personal goals for your face yoga journey AR technologies in face yoga apps can scan your face and suggest personal areas for improvement. By focusing your efforts on these areas, you can see better results in less time and stay motivated!
Before the exercisesJust like you do a warm-up before you start working out, you need to prepare your face before you start a face yoga routine. As face yoga exercises include the eyes, mouth, and neck areas, you want to make sure you treat these sensitive areas right. DO:
- Carefully wash your hands to avoid getting any bacteria on the skin. If you’re using tools for your facial procedures, such as a marble roller or the gua sha massager, make sure you keep them clean and disinfected.
- Prepare your skin. Use your usual cleanser to wash the face thoroughly. Splash water on your face to rinse it off, then pat gently with a towel to dry. Never rub your face with the towel, as this may cause irritation and unwanted wrinkles.
- For extra pampering, enhance your face yoga session with your chosen “me-time” accessories. Light a scented candle, pick nice music. You could do it watching your favorite show, even.
- Avoid doing face yoga exercises if you’re going through any kind of outbreaks, rash, sunburns, or inflammation on your face. Consult your doctor beforehand if you’re undergoing dermatological treatment or have had fillers done recently.
- Remember that face yoga is not a fix-all for good looks. Unhealthy habits and polluted environments can ruin even the hardest efforts. So make sure you are doing face yoga alongside healthy nutrition, physical activity, and proper skin care.
Face Yoga Exercises 101Below, you will find a list of face yoga exercises recommended by our board of cosmetologists and face yoga experts, with short descriptions and tutorials. Include them in your daily face yoga routine today.
Anti-ageing daily face yoga routine
Forehead rubStraightens the horizontal wrinkles on the forehead, tones your facial muscles. How to do it:
- Place the edges of your palms on your forehead.
- Start moving them alternately up and down.
- Move your hands along the forehead from one temple to the other and back.
- Make sure you massage not only the forehead area but the temples as well.
- Try to massage the areas where you feel the most tension.
- Do this exercise for 30-60 seconds.
Worryline eraserHelps to reduce vertical worry lines, improves facial tone. How to do it: Frown and note the vertical worry lines that appear on your forehead. 2. Take your index fingers. 3. Move them from the bridge of the nose to the middle of the forehead alternately. 4. The movements should be upward and diagonal. 5. Continue sliding your fingers with light pressure. 6. Do the exercise 20 times for each side.
Eye anti-agerGives a more youthful and refreshed look to the eye area, strengthens eyes muscles, reduces the appearance of crow's feet. How to do it:
- Take your thumbs and index fingers and place them near your eyes, on your temples.
- Stretch the skin.
- Now, blink. Slowly and consciously.
- Repeat 7-10 times.
Pufferfish faceReduces the appearance of a double chin, strengthens and tones overall facial muscles. How to do it:
- Relax your face.
- Take one or two fingers and place them on your lips.
- Push your fingers firmly into the skin.
- Breathe in through your mouth and puff out your cheeks.
- Hold for 5 seconds.
- Keep holding and raise your chin.
- Continue to hold for 5 seconds.
- Breathe out and repeat 3 times.
Face-lifting yoga exercises
Eyelid liftCreates a fresh and open-eyed look, helps to lift the upper eyelid. How to do it:
- Place your eyebrow in between the thumb and index fingers.
- Squeeze the eyebrow and start plucking it between the fingers.
- Move your finger smoothly from one edge of the brow to the other.
- After each round, increase the pressure of the squeeze.
- You can also bend and unbend the eyebrow in different directions.
- Do this for at least 20 seconds and repeat for the other eyebrow.
Cheek liftTones your facial muscles and helps contour your face. How to do it:
- Take your palms and place them on your cheeks.
- Hold them there for 5 seconds.
- Next, add a little pressure, and slide the edge of your palms along the bone structure of your face.
- Try to avoid the under-eye area.
- Repeat this 5 times.
Forehead liftHelps to lift your whole face, may help in reducing headaches. How to do it:
- Put your fingers through your hair, hold like that, and start moving your scalp in a circular motion.
- Massage the front of your scalp like this for 10-20 seconds, then move to the back.
- On the back of your head, put your fingers into your hair and clench your fists.
- Without letting go, move the back and sides of your scalp in the same circular motions.
- Relax and repeat.
Double-chin liftStrengthens and tones facial muscles, helps prevent the appearance of a double chin. How to do it:
- Stand up straight and look ahead.
- Place both hands on your chest or arms.
- Take a deep breath in, then release.
- Tilt your head back and up. Feel the tension in the neck area.
- Hold for 5 seconds and release.
- Repeat 5 times a day.
Fat-burning face yoga exercises
Face sculptorTones the contours of your face, helps to make you look younger. How to do it:
- Hold your face using the edge of your palms.
- Stretch them all the way from your jawline to your forehead.
- Turn your thumb forward so that the outer edges of the palm stretch the face backward and upwards.
- Pull all your facial features into the center of your face.
- Hold this stretch for about 5 seconds and then release.
- For better results, do this exercise at least 3 times.
Swan neckReduces neck tension, tightens a sagging neck and jawline, gets rid of 'tech chin.' How to do it:
- Stand upright and keep your back straight.
- Tilt your head forward and look down.
- Raise your chin upward and to the right to a 45-degree angle.
- Relax and return your head to the center.
- Now, repeat on the left side.
- Repeat 5 times to each side.
Double-chin removerHelps to get rid of a double chin and contours your chin even more. How to do it:
- Use both your hands to pinch the chin.
- Do this for at least 30 sec.
Eyes to ears lymph de-pufferReduces under-eye bags, has de-puffing effect on your whole face. How to do it:
- Put the fingertips of your hands on both sides of your nose.
- In a soft motion, move your fingers along the cheekbone to the ear. Avoid the under-eye skin.
- Pull the fingertips all the way to the ears and then down the neck to reach the lymph glands.
- Repeat 5-7 times.
Detox face yoga exercises
Dark circle removerReduces under-eye sagging and dark circles, increases blood circulation. How to do it:
- Keep your head straight up and face relaxed.
- Use all your fingers to tap gently underneath the eye area. Move from the nose, around the eyes to the temples, and then to the forehead.
- Tap like this for 1 minute.
Lip-corner massageHelps to get rid of downturned lip corners, smoothes the facial muscles, improves blood circulation in the lip area. How to do it:
- Create an "O" shape with your lips. Don't squeeze them too much.
- Place your fingers in the corner of the lips and rub them around.
- Continue rubbing the corners until you feel a warmth in this area.
Face squeezerTones your facial muscles, helps make you look younger. How to do it:
- Put your palms on the edge of your nose, creating a triangle.
- Press your thumbs tightly against your chin.
- Slowly start stretching your face to the side, moving your palms from the center towards the ears.
- Make sure you don't lift the palms from the skin.
- Repeat 5-7 times.
Face yoga exercises for beginnersLooking for the easiest face yoga exercises, just to give it a try? We got you. For beginners, we suggest simple exercises that can bring impressive results in weeks. Make sure to take before and after photos to track your progress, don’t skip on your usual skincare, and drink plenty of water.
SmilerIncreases blood circulation to give the effect of fuller lips, strengthens and tones the cheek muscles. How to do it:
- Relax your face and look straight ahead.
- Curl your lips together, as if applying lipstick.
- Hold this for 5 seconds and release.
- Repeat 5 times.
NamasteHelps to define your jawline, aides with lymph drainage. How to do it: Put your hands together into a namaste position. Put your thumbs under your jawbone, push up gently. Move your thumbs along your jawbone, up to the corner of the jaw. Repeat 5-7 times on each side.
Big OGives a fresh look to your face, tones your cheek muscles, and makes them look fuller, warms up your facial muscles for more exercises. How to do it:
- Drop your jaw and open your mouth to create an O shape.
- Without wrinkling your forehead, relax your face and look up.
- Use your hands to help if this is difficult.
- Hold this pose for 5 seconds.
- Repeat 3 times.
Editor’s top choice: Jaw unlockerThis simple face yoga exercise for your face and neck muscles can change your quality of life. Try doing it for a week, and you’ll see how your face becomes more relaxed, symmetrical, and balanced. How to do it:
- Sit up straight. Place your fist on the outside of your jawline, thumb down.
- Turn your head in the direction of your fist until you feel a stretch in your neck.
- Keep your fist firmly in place, don’t let it move.
- Press your jaw toward your fist and hold this for several breaths.
- Let go.
- Do the same on the other side.
How to set up your face yoga routineHave you tried some face yoga before? Here are a few extra tips and tricks from our beauticians and professional face yogi to give you a shortcut to the best results.
- Create a plan for your face yoga routine: decide which area you’d like to focus on, learn 6-8 exercises for this area and practice them daily for 6-8 weeks. Most yogi report noticing the first results in about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Do your face yoga in the morning and evening, ideally. Set aside 15-20 minutes for each session. Make it your personal time to relax, unwind, de-stress, and replenish your inner energy.
- Keep up the motivation! Mark your milestones and small wins with rewards. For example, get a fresh bottle of your favorite essential oil to celebrate a week of regular practice.
- Track your results by taking photos every week. Make sure you’re taking the pictures with the same light and setup, so you can truly see the changes.
- Give yourself gold stars for the repetitions or use an app to record your progress.